Gwinnett 11, Columbus 7
- M. Young 2-4 2B, 2 RBI, BB, SB(13), .306 Avg
- M. Diaz 2-4 2B, 3 RBI, .429 Avg
- F. Freeman 2-3 2 2B, RBI, 2BB, .277 Ag
- M. Dunn 2IP 0H 0R 1BB 3K .72 ERA
- C. Kimbrel 1IP 0H 0R 0BB 2K 1.08 ERA
The Braves get a Hanson-esque performance from JoJo Reyes but are bailed out by great hitting from just about everyone. And if anyone asks, no Jordan Schafer did not play. I am really happy to see Freddie Freeman have this game because, while he has held his own this season, I haven't seen him have very many big games (the 2 HR game from early last month comes to mind). His OPS is up to .787 on the season which is pretty fantastic for a 20 year old in AAA and for the month he has put up an .843 mark. Not too shabby sir.
Mobile 0, Mississippi 9
- W. Cabrera 3-4 2 2B, 2 RBI, BB, SB(6), .322 Avg
- A. Machado 3-5 2 2B, 2 RBI, .299 Avg
- S. Diamond 6IP 6H 0R 6BB 0K 3.80 ERA
There is something going on with the farm teams - two teams put up 9 runs tonight? I thought were were pitching heavy? I'll take it. Scott Diamond showed why groundball pitchers have been in vogue recently and why they have bad peripherals and still succeed - he had a 15-2 GB:FB split tonight. That is pretty freaking out of control. Also: Willie Cabrera = My Boy.
Myrtle Beach 11, Lynchburg 8
- D. Nelson 2-5 2 2B, 3 RBI, K, .277 Avg
- L. Sumoza 3-4 2B, 3 RBI, BB, .222 Avg
- JJ. Hoover 4.2IP 9H 4R 1BB 3K 4.35 ERA
Holy Crap!??! Three teams with 9+ runs? What is the world coming to? Also on a note of crazy happenings there was a Luis Sumoza sighting tonight as well. You guys remember him right? We got him from Boston a couple of years ago for Mark Kotsay. He is a toolsy OFer who showed some flashes in Rome last year but has yet to develop any semblance of plate discipline or over the fence power. You still can't give up on the guy because even though it feels like he has been around forever he doesn't turn 22 until July 15.
Rome 6, Lexington 3
- T. Cunningham 1-3 2 RBI, BB, K, SB(1), .176 Avg
- RSF 2-4 2B, 3B, RBI, K, .300 Avg
- P. Gosselin 3-4 RBI, .571 Avg
More offense from the Braves farm with Rome pounding out 12 hits in their winning effort. Phil Gosselin continues to be unimpressed with what the rest of the world considers 'professional' baseball while RSF knocked off the rust after his long layoff. I really won't know what to think about him until I see him succeed in High A and AA.
Danville 2, Bluefield 6
- R. Flores 2-5 PO, .346 Avg
- A. Simmons 2-4 RBI, SB(1), .286 Avg
- C. Perez 5IP 3H 1R 4BB 5K .90 ERA
Carlos Perez might have more upside than anyone on this team. Keep that in mind as he dominates the Appy league this summer. He might be a little wild now (kind of like Tyler Stovall of last season) but if the Braves can harness his stuff and get him throwing strikes we could have another top level minor league pitcher.
GCL Braves - Off
DSL Braves 5, DSL Tigers 2
- G. Reyes 2-5 RBI, SB(7), .262 Avg
- F. Marte 2-4 2 HR(2), 4 RBI, 2K, .258 Avg
- H. Garcia 2-4 K, 2 SB(7), .292 avg
- E. Medina 4IP 0H 0R 1BB 4K 3.48 ERA
Felix Marte muscles up as the DSL Braves get some big league redemption (actually this game was played this morning, but who's keeping track?). Marte flashed some power last season as well and 8 of his 16 hits this season have gone for extra bases. His big issue is the strike outs as he has compiled 26 in just 62 ABs so far. Ouch. Edward Salcedo did not appear in today's game.