Tommy La Stella was all the offense the Hillcats would need, Phil Gosselin and Joe Leonard stayed hot for Mississppi, and Rome's offense has yet to get things going, wasting a fine start from AJ Holland.
Gwinnett Braves 4, Durham Bulls 7
- Erenesto Mejia DH 1-4, HR (1), RBI, .316 AVG
- Joey Terdoslavich 3B 1-2, 2B, 2 BB, .133 AVG
- Christian Marrero 1B 3-4, 2B, HR (1), 3 RBI, .308 AVG
- Eric Junge 5 IP, 6 ER, 8 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 10.80 ERA
Christian Marrero was the offensive star in this one, rapping out three hits, including a double and his first homer of the season, and driving in 3 runs. The 25 year old, acquired from the White Sox near the end of Spring Training, is the older brother of Nationals first baseman Chris Marrero. Joey Terdoslavich rapped another double, and worked a pair of walks, though he has struck out 8 times in 15 at bats. Eric Junge, who saw time in the Majors in 2002 and 2003 with the Phillies, made his Braves debut and was hit hard, allowing 6 runs in just 5 innings. The 35 year old righty has now seen time in AAA in parts of 9 seasons, and has also spent time playing in Japan, Korea, and in the independent Atlantic League.
Yohan Flande will take the hill tomorrow as the team heads to Norfolk for a 3 game series.
Mississippi Braves 2, Mobile Bay Bears 8
- Phil Gosselin 2B 3-5, .375 AVG
- Joe Leonard 3B 2-5, 2B, 2 RBI, E (1), .353 AVG
- Barrett Kleinknecht SS 1-3, 2B, BB, .214 AVG
- David Hale 1.2 IP, 7 R, 6 ER, 6 H, 3 BB, 1 K, 32.40 ERA
- Gary Moran 4.1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 2 BB, 2 K, 1.69 ERA
David Hale's season didn't start off how he planned, as he gave up 7 runs, 6 earned, and didn't make it out of the 2nd inning. Gary Moran, a 26 year old righty who began 2011 in independent ball and finished it in Rome's rotation, came on in relief of Hale, stranding 3 inherited runners and pitching 4.1 scoreless innings. Phil Gosselin had a 3 hit day, making him 6-12 in his last 3 games. Joe Leonard drove in a pair of runs with a 2 hit day, and he's had a hit in all 4 of Mississippi's games. Center fielder Myke Jones and rightfielder Keenan Wiley collided in the outfield in the first inning, forcing both to be removed from the game, with Jones leaving on a stretcher. Jones is fine, but he will miss a few days recovering.
Chris Masters will start the series finale Monday against Diamondbacks prospect Tyler Skaggs.
Lynchburg Hillcats 3, Potomac Nationals 2
- Matt Lipka CF 2-4, SB (1), .385 AVG
- Tommy La Stella 2B 2-3, 2B, HR (1), 3 RBI, .556 AVG
Nick Ahmed SS 0-1, 3 BB, .182 AVG
- Evan Gattis C 3-4, .400 AVG
- JR Graham 5 IP, 2 ER, 5 H, 2 BB, 3 K, W (1), 3.60 ERA
- Chasen Shreve 2 IP, 0 R, 1 H, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
- Ryan Weber 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, 0.00 ERA
- Matt Chaffee 1 IP, 0 R, 0 H, 0 BB, 2 K, SV (1), 0.00 ERA
Tommy La Stella continues to punish baseballs, driving in all three of Lynchburg's runs today, with a 1t inning 2 run homer and a 5th inning sacrifice fly. Matt Lipka had a pair of singles and a stolen base, making him 4-9 in the last 2 games. Nick Ahmed is having trouble getting his bat going, but he did work 3 walks today. Evan Gattis was 1-6 in his first 2 games, but rapped out 3 hits today. JR Graham picked up the win with a solid start, allowing 2 runs over 5 innings. Chasen Shreve, Ryan Weber, and Matt Chaffee combined to strike out 7 over 4 scoreless innings of relief.
Following their sweep of the Nationals, the Hillcats will have an off day on Monday, before taking on the Salem Red Sox on Tuesday, with Aaron Northcraft scheduled to start.
Rome Braves 0, Charelston River Dogs 1
- AJ Holland 6.2 IP, 1 R, 0 ER, 3 H, 2 BB, 4 K, 0.00 ERA
- John Cornely 1.1 IP, 0 R, 2 H, 0 BB, 1 K, 0.00 ERA
Rome was shut out again, collecting just 2 hits. In the season's first three games they've managed just 1 run and only 6 hits. The offense has been letting down some stellar pitching, and today was more of the same, with AJ Holland allowing just 1 unearned run over 6.2 innings while striking out 4. John Cornely was just as effective in relief, shutting out the River Dogs over 1.1 innings.
The team will head to Savannah tomorrow, where they will take on the Mets affiliate, the Sand Gnats.