- Luis Durango, CF: 2-5, RBI, OF Assist, .284
- Tyler Pastornicky, 2B: 1-4, BB, .248
- Ruben Gotay, 3B: 2-3, 2B, RBI, BB, .203
- Yohan Flande, SP: 5.1 IP, 7 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 6 K, 3.84 ERA
- Cory Gearrin, RP: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 3 K, 1.31 ERA
Yohan Flande started for Gwinnett against the Yankees' AAA affiliate and was solid, giving up 2 runs on 7 hits and 2 walks over 5.1 innings pitched. He also managed to strike out 6. Cory Gearrin, fresh off being named to the International League All Star Team, struck out the side in a scoreless inning. Tyler Pastornicky saw time at 2nd tonight - probably to get him ready in a utility roll - and went 1-4 with a walk. Luis Durango kept hitting, rapping out 2 singles and throwing SWB catcher Francisco Cervelli out at 3rd base.
Julio Teheran makes his first start since being pulled early for back problems tomorrow.
Chattanooga Lookouts 4, Mississippi Braves 1 - 11 Innings
- Joey Terdoslavich, 1B: 1-4, BB, .347
- Christian Bethancourt, C: 1-5, SB(6), .257
- Keenan Wiley, RF: 1-2, RBI, 3 BB, .284
- Phil Gosselin, 2B: 1-4, BB, .257
- Gary Moran, SP: 6 IP, 6 H, 1 R (0 ER), 0 BB, 4 K, 2.94 ERA
- Andrew Russell, RP: 1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.20 ERA
Gary Moran pitched a great game for Mississippi, but due to some lackluster offense, the M-Braves fell in the 11th after a 3 run homer by the Lookouts. Moran allowed no earned runs over 6 innings, giving up only 6 hits and on walks while striking out 4. Moran has quietly lowered his ERA under 3, and has thrown 5 quality starts in his last 6 turns. Keenen Wiley had a great day getting on base, singling and drawing 3 walks on the evening. Wiley also drove in the M-Braves' only run of the game.
Zeke Spruill goes against the Lookouts tomorrow, looking for his 6th win of the year.
Myrtle Beach Pelicans 5, Lynchburg Hillcats 1
- Chris Garcia, 1B: 2-3, .308
- Edward Salcedo, DH: 1-3, RBI, .260
- Chris Masters, SP: 6 IP, 8 H, 4 R (3 ER), 2 BB, 3 K, 5.73 ERA
- Juan Jamie, RP: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 2 K, 3.30 ERA
It was a rough game for Lynchburg tonight, who only managed 5 hits against the Braves' old High A affiliate Myrtle Beach. Chris Garcia had 2 of the 5 hits himself, and is now hitting .308 on the year. Edward Salcedo had the Hillcats' lone RBI with a single. Chris Masters had another messy outing, allowing 3 earned runs on 8 hits and 2 walks. Since being demoted to Lynchburg, Masters has allowed 14 earned runs in 25 innings pitches, while walking 10 and striking out 15 - hardly a good sign.
Dimasther Delgado goes tomorrow for the Hillcats.
Greenville Drive 6, Rome Braves 1
- Kyle Kubitza, 3B: 2-3, BB, .254
- Brandon Drury, DH: 2-3, RBI, .197
- Will Skinner, CF: 1-4, 2B, R, .262
- Jarrett Miller, SP: 4 IP, 9 H, 2 R, 2 BB, 5 K, 4.13 ERA
Kyle Kubitza was moved up to leadoff tonight, and responded with a two hit day and a walk as well. Over his last 5 games, Kubitza has reached base 8 times with 5 hits and 3 walks. He has never been averse to taking a walk, and has 45 in 252 at bats this year, good for a .372 OBP. Brandon Drury, who has been struggling mightily all year, posted his second multi-hit game in as many days, going 2-3 with the R-Braves' only RBI. Hopefully he can turn things around, as he is moving his average slowly closer to the Mendoza line. Jarrett Miller started for Rome and was very hittable, allowing 9 over 4 innings on his way to a 2 run outing.
Ryan Weber toes the slab tomorrow for Rome.
Kingsport Mets 1, Danville Braves 8
- Levi Hyams, 2B: 2-4, 2 R, .250
- Edison Sanchez, LF: 2-4, 2B, 3B, 2 RBI, BB, .321
- Blake Brown, RF: 1-3, 2B, R, BB, .200
- Casey Kalenkosky, 1B: 0-1, 2 R, 3 BB, .278
- Rafael Briceno, SP: 6 IP, 3 H, 1 R, 0 BB, 9 K, 6.35 ERA
- Matt Talley, RP: 2 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 3 K, 0.00 ERA
Rafael Briceno had arguably the best start of his career for Danville tonight, going 6 strong innings while allowing only 1 run on 3 hits. Briceno didn't walk a man and stuck out 9 - half of the outs he got were via the strikeout. Matt Talley kept Briceno's good work going, throwing 2 innings of 1 hit ball with 3 strikeouts in relief. Edison Sanchez led the way for the Rome offense with a double, a triple, two RBI, and a walk. Levi Hyams singled twice and scored two runs, while Blake Brown doubled, walked and scored a run as well.
Danville opens a series with Greenville tomorrow, probables TBA.
GCL Tigers 11, GCL Braves 2
- Jose Pereza, SS: 2-4, 2B, R, .440
- Robinson Arno, 1B: 2-4, 2 2B, .500
- Abraham Espinosa, SP: 3 IP, 5 H, 5 R, 3 BB, 3 K, 10.80 ERA
- Brandon Rohde, RP: 1.1 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 2 K, 2.70 ERA
The GCL Braves got creamed today because of lackluster pitching and little offense. Abraham Espinosa started for the GCL Braves and was ineffective, going 3 innings and allowing 5 runs on 5 hits and 3 walks. Jorge Montenegro followed him by allowing 5 runs over the next 1.2 innings as well. Jose Pereza and Robinson Arno were responsible for two-thirds of the GCL Braves' hits on the day. Pereza, through his first 6 games, has been hitting everything to the tune of a .440/.481/.600 slash line.
GCL Braves take on the GCL Tigers tomorrow, probables TBA