(74-69) Charlotte Knights 1 vs. (76-67) Gwinnett Braves 2
- Mallex Smith, CF: 0-3, 1 BB, CS, .279/.333/.361
- Cedric Hunter, LF: 1-3, 1 BB, .281/.329/.419
- Victor Mateo, SP: 6 IP, 7 H, 1 ER, 0 BB, 6 K, 5.36 ERA
Gwinnett was eliminated from playoff contention despite beating Charlotte 2-1. With Norfolk's win over Durham, Gwinnett will now finish their season on Labor Day. Mallex Smith reached base on a walk but was caught stealing while Cedric Hunter had a single and a walk. Gwinnett didn't get much going on offense, but it was enough as Victor Mateo shut down Charlotte for 6 innings and the bullpen came on for 3 innings of scoreless relief to lock down the win.
(69-67) Mississippi Braves 3 vs. (57-81) Jacksonville Suns 7
- Levi Hyams, 2B: 1-3, HR, 1 BB, 1 RBI, .274/.375/.390
- Rio Ruiz, 3B: 1-4, 1 run, .233/.333/.324
- Stephen Janas, SP: 2.1 IP, 10 H, 6 ER, 1 BB, 0 K, 4.87 ERA
Sadly, Mississippi was also eliminated from the playoffs on this day as they fell to the Suns 7-3. Stephen Janas did not end his year well with this start as he lasted just 2.1 IP and got rocked for 10 hits and 6 earned runs. Mississippi tried to piece together some offense here and there, including a solo shot from Levi Hyams, but unfortunately Janas' struggles proved to be too much to overcome despite a stellar effort from the bullpen to stop the bleeding and keep Mississippi in the game (5.2 innings of scoreless relief).
(70-68) Carolina Mudcats 4 vs. (72-67) Lynchburg Hillcats 5
- Reed Harper, SS: 2-3, 2 RBI, 1 SB, 1 BB, .205/.270/.253
- Dustin Peterson, LF: 0-3, .252/.319/.350
- Blair Walters, SP: 6 IP, 9 H, 4 ER, 2 BB, 3 K, 3.13 ERA
Lynchburg scored the go ahead run in the bottom of the 7th as Carolina loses 5-4. Reed Harper, who has scuffled a bit this season, had a strong game at the plate as he reached base three times and drove in two runs. Dustin Peterson, after briefly catching back on fire, is ending his season with another slump. As for the pitching, Blair Walters went 6 innings, but seemed to get a bit unlucky and seemed to be under the gun for most of the game. He did keep Carolina in the game though, until Andy Otero came on in relief and allowed the go-ahead run to score.
(58-81) Rome Braves 2 vs. (80-57) Hickory Crawdads 3
- Luis Valenzuela, SS: 2-4, 1 2B, 1 RBI, .344
- Luke Dykstra, 2B: 2-4, .341/.366/.477
- Zack Quintana, SP: 6 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 3 K, 3.25 ERA
Your suffering is almost over Rome fans as Rome loses again to Hickory 3-2. Luis Valenzuela has been a very pleasant pick-up for the Braves as the player acquired for Jonny Gomes is batting .344 in single-A this year and .444 in his five games for Rome. Luke Dykstra continued his good work since his promotion to Rome while Matt Tellor reached base twice to continue his resurgence a bit. Braxton Davidson went 0 for 4 and unfortunately Rome's offensive shortcomings as well as a rough bullpen outing for Dakota Dill wasted a great start from Zack Quintana.