The World Series got underway Tuesday night which means we are one step closer to the MLB offseason getting in full swing. This figures to be an interesting offseason for the Atlanta Braves who have several needs following a disappointing first round exit from the postseason.
Re-signing Josh Donaldson may be the top priority but what I will be most watching is how Alex Anthopoulos approaches this offseason. So far, we have seen a patient and deliberate approach from Anthopoulos. They struck early last offseason with the addition of Donaldson and were in on some potential trades throughout December and January didn’t pull the trigger.
Will Anthopoulos more aggressively pursue a trade this offseason for an outfielder or an established starter? Many of the Braves pitching prospects have topped out at Triple-A but have been short on major league success. Would Anthopoulos consider trading one of Cristian Pache, Drew Waters or Ian Anderson in a deal to strengthen the club for the future? Those are all questions that we will see play out over the next four months.
More Braves news
- Our season review series continued with looks at Bryse Wilson and Patrick Weigel.
- Brian McCann threw out the first pitch of Game 1 of the World Series to Evan Gattis Tuesday night. Gattis went unsigned last season and isn’t seeking any new opportunities to return.
- Former Braves catcher Raffy Lopez was among a group of minor league players to elect free agency. Lopez spent some time on the team’s 40-man roster this season but was sidelined due to injury for most of 2019.
2019 World Series
- The Washington Nationals tagged starter Gerrit Cole for five runs and two homers in a 5-4 win over the Houston Astros in Game 1 of the World Series.
- In the loss, Astros outfielder George Springer set a record with a home run in his fifth straight World Series Game. Springer homered in the final four games of the 2017 series.
- Reliever Ryan Pressly did make Houston’s roster for the World Series which appeared to be up in the air after he exited Game 6 of the ALCS with an apparent knee injury.
- The Ringer’s Ben Lindbergh takes a look at how the World Series will be a showcase for some of this offseason’s top free agents.
- SB Nation takes a look at seven under-the-radar players who could be the difference in the World Series.
- Joe Girardi has emerged as the favorite to land the Phillies managerial search according to a report by MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. Girardi however, has also interviewed twice with the Mets and remains a candidate for their opening as well.
- The Astros were involved in an ugly incident following their ALCS-clinching win this past Saturday in which assistant general manager Brandon Taubman had an inappropriate and profane outburst. Major League Baseball issued a statement on Tuesday confirming that they are now investigating the incident.
- The St. Louis Cardinals are expected to be in the market for a left-handed starter this winter and will be taking a look at former Giant Madison Bumgarner.