Catcher William Contreras was recalled from Gwinnett back to the Atlanta Braves as Travis d’Arnaud was placed on the paternity list. Brian Snitker plans to have him catch for Touki Toussaint today for the Orioles series finale. While playing for Gwinnett, Contreras was hitting .313/.368/.583, with eight home runs and a 150 wRC+ in 32 games.
Last night, the Braves earned their second win against the Baltimore Orioles. Drew Smyly was the starting pitcher, who gave up a solo home run in the first inning. He had a scoreless second and third inning, and then gave up two more runs in the fourth. He exited the game after five innings with three earned runs, striking out eight.
Both Joc Pederson and Austin Riley helped out the Braves’ offense by hitting solo homers. Pederson hit a 415 foot shot in the fourth, and Riley followed him with a 364 foot shot in the fifth. Dansby Swanson and Ozzie Albies also connected to help Atlanta maintain their lead, both hitting doubles. Albies currently leads the National League in extra base hits. Will Smith closed the game out, giving up a home run, but ultimately received the save.
The Braves kept their lead and won the game 5-4. This was their 12th straight road win, which is a single-season franchise record. Today, they will try to extend that to 13, going for the sweep of the Orioles. Touki Toussaint will take the mound to finish the series out.
More Braves News
- The Braves are still succeeding, despite Ronald Acuña Jr.’s absence. They are on an eight game winning streak, and are four and a half games ahead of the Phillies.
- Tyler Matzek’s strong return has been vital for the Braves’ bullpen. He has improved tremendously since his slump in June, coming back strong and delivering in clutch situations.
- The Mets have placed catcher James McCann on the 10-day injured list due to lower back spasms, retroactive to August 17th.
- Mike Trout discusses his return from the injured list, says he’s nearing a rehab assignment. Trout has been out since May 17th with a right calf strain.
- The Padres have placed starter Jake Arietta on the 10-day injured list, retroactive to August 19th, with a left hamstring strain.
- The Rays are expected to activate right-hander Chris Archer from the 60-day injured list today.
- The Mariners have placed Diego Castillo on the 10-day injured list due to right shoulder inflammation. They have recalled Robert Dugger from Triple-A.
- Twins right-hander, Kenta Maeda, left yesterday’s game due to right forearm tightness.