While the Braves rarely make things easy, this team is once again showing the resiliency that defined it over the past three years.
After some disappointing bullpen performances between Thursday and the suspended game on Friday, the Braves were able to sweep the Padres over the weekend and enter today’s off day with a 2 1⁄2 game lead over the Phillies. A few big reasons were, though the Braves still struggled at times, creating plenty of scoring chances. Another was the bullpen as a whole being solid enough for the offense to get going late to secure the wins over the past two games.
The great thing is that on Sunday the Braves offense was NOT provided by the usual suspects. Joc Pederson, Travis d’Arnaud, Ehire Adrianza, and Orlando Arcia provided the firepower that was just enough support for the bullpen to hold on (Will Smith......eh, never mind.) There will be games will the main sources of success will all struggle; fortunately, the Braves depth made the most of their opportunities today.
As a result of the Braves sweep of the Padres and the Phillies loss to the Pirates on Sunday (THANKS PIRATES!!!), Atlanta will enter their final off day and the final week of the season with plenty of opportunity to win their fourth division title in a row.
- The Atlanta Braves did not get the biggest win in the organization on Sunday. That would be the Mississippi Braves, who won their first Southern League Double A Title since 2008.
- The Braves reinstated Touki Toussaint from the bereavement list and optioned him to Triple-A on Sunday.
- If you want some fun reading during the off day before the fireworks begin between the Braves and Phillies, you can find some fun information from MLB.com and also from Talking Chop to get prepared.
- On the new Talking Chop Podcast, Brad and Scott recap a fun and successful week for the Braves, discuss the setup for the final week of the season, and what the Braves must do to ear the division crown.
- Today is also the debut of “Battery Power”, the new weekly You Tube show from Talking Chop with Grant McAuley and Cory McCartney. For both the Talking Chop Podcast Network and Youtube Channel, subscribe to both to get the latest shows when they arrive.
- While the AL Wild Card race is far from finished, the Yankees moved into the first Wild Card spot by sweeping the Red Sox over the weekend.
- It seems the winner of the NL East officially knows who its Division Series opponent will be as the Brewers clinched the NL Central on Sunday.
- While not official as of yet, the Cardinals seem close to securing their spot in the NL Wild Card game with their 16th straight win.
- With the final week of the season here, all the information you need to know on the playoff races is here to enjoy.