Monday was a big day at the Winter Meetings as two of the biggest name free agents came off the board. The New York Mets found their replacement for Jacob deGrom by agreeing to a two-year, $86 million deal with reigning American League Cy Young Award winner Justin Verlander. The deal also includes a player option for a third season.
Not to be outdone, the Philadelphia Phillies struck big locking up shortstop Trea Turner on a massive 11-year, $300 million contract.
Tuesday will be a busy day as well. Brian Snitker will speak to the media at 5 p.m. ET. The winner of the Ford Frick Award will be announced and former Braves announcer Ernie Johnson Sr is a nominee. Additionally, the inaugural Draft Lottery will take place Tuesday night at 8:30 p.m. ET and will be shown live on MLB Network.
We will be tracking the latest rumors and deals in this thread throughout the day so be sure to check back.
Winter Meetings News
- Edwin Díaz and Emmanuel Clase were named Relievers of the Year for the National and American League.
- John Lowe is the recipient of the 2023 BBWAA career excellence award
Free Agent Rumors
- The Miami Marlins are among the teams that are interested in former Dodgers third baseman Justin Turner
- The Padres reportedly made a bigger offer to free agent Trea Turner than the one that he accepted from the Phillies
- Free Agent starter Andrew Heaney reportedly has multiple three-year offers, but is looking for a four-year deal
- The Boston Red Sox are reportedly pushing hard to sign reliever Tommy Kahnle
- The Pittsburgh Pirates are looking to add starting pitching
- The Dodgers and Rays reportedly have interest in veteran outfielder Andrew McCutchen
- The Blue Jays are reportedly among the teams interested in Cody Bellinger
- The Giants are another team that is interested in Cody Bellinger
- The Pirates are close on a deal with left-hander Jarlin Garcia
- Evan Longoria is looking to sign with a contender and is reportedly in talks with five teams
- Japanese outfielder Masataka Yoshida has officially been posted. He now has 30 days to negotiate with teams
- The San Francisco Giants have reportedly offered Aaron Judge a deal in the neighborhood of $360 million
Free Agent Signings
- Free Agent reliever Tommy Kahnle is in agreement with the Yankees on a two-year, $11.5 million contract
- Former Braves infielder Jace Peterson is headed to Oakland on a two-year deal
- Josh Bell has agreed to a two-year, $33 million deal with the Guardians
- The Rangers and free agent Andrew Heaney have an agreement on a two-year deal
- The Cubs and outfielder Cody Bellinger have an agreement on a one-year, $17.5 million deal
- The Giants and outfielder Mitch Haniger have an agreement on a three-year, $43.5 million deal