Things got interesting at the Winter Meetings Tuesday as several more free agents found new homes. Among them were Josh Bell signing with Cleveland, Andrew Heaney to the Rangers, Cody Bellinger to the Cubs and Mitch Haniger to the Giants. There was plenty of smoke around Aaron Judge as well, but he still has not made a decision. That could come as soon as Wednesday which is the final day of the Winter Meetings.
The Atlanta Braves remained quiet Tuesday, but manager Brian Snitker did speak to the media about a variety of topics including the shortstop position and the fifth starter spot.
The recipient of the Ford Frick Award will be announced Wednesday and former Braves announcer Ernie Johnson Sr. a nominee. The Rule 5 Draft will return after a one-year hiatus and will take place at 5 p.m. ET. The Braves have the 28th pick so their participation seems unlikely. Still, here are some names that might make sense for some clubs.
We will be tracking the latest rumors and deals in this thread throughout the day so be sure to check back throughout the day.
Winter Meeting News
Free Agent Rumors
- The Cubs have reportedly had discussions with former Mets first baseman Dominic Smith
- Willson Contreras has multi-year offers from both the Cardinals and the Astros
- The Cardinals are closing in on a deal with catcher Willson Contreras
- The Pirates are showing interest in free agent catcher Tucker Barnhart
- Momentum is reportedly building between the Red Sox and shortstop Xander Bogaerts
- The Twins have reportedly made an offer to catcher Christian Vazquez
- Per Ken Rosenthal, the Cubs view Dansby Swanson as their most realistic target
- The Mets have reportedly acquired reliever Brooks Raley from the Rays in exchange for Keyshawn Askew
Free Agent Signings
- The Cubs agreed to a four-year deal with Jameson Taillon that is worth $68 million
- The Phillies are closing in on a two-year, $15 million deal with reliever Matt Strahm
- The Yankees and Aaron Judge have an agreement on a nine-year, $360 million deal
- The Mets and left-hander Jose Quintana have an agreement on a two-year, $26 million deal
- Former Braves closer Kenley Jansen agreed to a two-year, $32 million deal with the Red Sox
- The A’s and infielder Aledmys Diaz have an agreement on a two-year deal
- The Cardinals and Willson Contreras have an agreement on a five-year, $87.5 million deal
- The Red Sox have an agreement with outfielder Masataka Yoshida per a report by ESPN’s Jeff Passan