The “runner on second rule to begin extras” idea seemed like it would be a polarizing addition to baseball from the beginning. While the idea to shorten games during the pandemic had some logic, it also appeared to be too much of a change to how the game was played. It also has not been a kind experience for the Braves over the past few years.
The Braves are now 7-14 in such games since 2020, with plenty of struggles at the plate and the mound. Though the Braves have approached this extra innings setup with multiple strategies over the past few years, they simply have not found consistent success. Hopefully, as the 2022 season progresses, Atlanta will be able to avoid extra innings situations as much as possible.
- The Braves loss on Sunday occurred despite a very good bounce back performance from Kyle Wright.
- MLB.com looks at 5 teams, including Atlanta, that are teetering between looking the part of contenders on paper despite playing like pretenders to start the season.
- Brad Rowland and Scott Coleman break down missed opportunities and the latest on Ronald Acuna Jr. in the latest episode of the Battery Power podcast.
- The Reds became only the sixth team in MLB history to lose a game despite not giving up a hit to its opponent in a 1-0 loss to the Pirates.
- Albert Pujols made the first pitching appearance of his career in a historic 15-6 win for the Cardinals.
- Xander Bogaerts is open to extension talks during the season with the Red Sox.
- Former top prospect Alex Reyes will be shut down for the foreseeable future due to shoulder soreness.