The Atlanta Braves head into the offseason looking to retool a roster that led the majors with 104 wins in 2023, but flamed out with a first round exit in the postseason. While the position player side of the roster is pretty set thanks to all of the extensions that the team has handed out in recent seasons, there are some question marks on the pitching side.
The most pressing need appears to be in the rotation where Charlie Morton’s future is uncertain and Max Fried is entering his final season of team control. Additionally, Kyle Wright is slated to miss all of the 2024 season after undergoing shoulder surgery. Atlanta has several young starters that could step in, but they may need to be on the hunt for a controllable arm that can contribute in 2024 and beyond.
The Braves will also need to rebuild part of their bullpen. Raisel Iglesias returns as the team’s closer, but like Fried, A.J. Minter is entering his final year of team control. Additionally, Joe Jimenez and Jesse Chavez are free agents while the team also holds contract options on veterans Collin McHugh and Kirby Yates. Atlanta may look to add some flexibility to a bullpen that was largely locked into place for the entirety of the 2023 season.
We will be tracking all of the biggest offseason storylines and roster moves here, so be sure to check back throughout the winter.
Free Agent Signings
- Oct 25 -Braves sign Pierce Johnson to two-year, $14.25 million deal
- Nov 2 - Braves sign Joe Jimenez to 3-year, $26 million deal
- Nov 20 - Braves sign Reynaldo Lopez to 3-year, $26 million deal
Free Agent Rumors
- Nov 13 - Braves reportedly willing to pay for free agent starter
- Nov 13 - Aaron Nola and Sonny Gray reportedly “strong options” for the Braves
- Nov 20 - Braves reportedly a ‘top suitor’ for Sonny Gray
- Nov 1 - Braves lose Sam Hilliard on waiver claim, outright Ben Heller and Andrew Velazquez
- Nov 5 - Braves decline option on Brad Hand
- Nov 5 - Braves expected to decline Eddie Rosario’s club option, per report
- Nov 6 - Braves to pick up Charlie Morton’s club option, per report
- Nov 6 - Braves pick up Charlie Morton’s club option, decline options for Eddie Rosario, Collin McHugh and Kirby Yates
- Nov 14 - Braves claim RHP Penn Murfee off waivers from Mets
- Nov 16 - Atlanta acquires Aaron Bummer from the White Sox in a six-player trade
- Nov 17 - The Braves trade Nick Anderson to the Royals for cash.
- Nov 17 - The Braves traded Kyle Wright to the Royals in exchange for Jackson Kowar
- Oct 13 - Kyle Wright undergoes shoulder surgery, will miss all of 2024 season
- Oct 14 - Dylan Lee undergoes shoulder clean up, expected to be ready for Spring Training
- Oct 14 - Tyler Matzek expected to be ready for start of Spring Training
- Nov 8 - Huascar Ynoa expected to be ready for Spring Training
- Oct 27 - Walt Weiss, Eric Young mentioned as possible replacements for Dusty Baker in Houston
- Oct 30 - Ron Washington has shown interest in Astros’ managerial vacancy, per report
- Nov 7 - Ron Washington meeting with Angels about managerial position, per report
- Nov 8 - Ron Washington hired as Angels manager
- Nov 8 - Eric Young Sr. in consideration to join Ron Washington’s staff with Angels, per report (UPDATED)