Tuesday made for a successful evening for the Atlanta Braves, who defeated the Los Angeles Angels 5-1. The win was powered by a multi-homer game from Michael Harris II and another huge start from Spencer Strider.
Strider earned his 12th win of the season after tossing 6.2 innings of one-run baseball. He walked two and fanned nine. In Tuesday’s outing, Strider broke his own record for fastest pitcher to 200 strikeouts in a season. Strider got his 200th whiff in 123.1 innings against two-way player Shoehei Ohtani.
Spencer Strider reached 200 strikeouts in 123 1/3 innings pitched this season.— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) August 1, 2023
That is the fewest innings pitched to reach 200 strikeouts in a single season in MLB history.
He passed himself from last year (130 innings). h/t @EliasSports pic.twitter.com/56csYeIymk
“It’s neat,” Strider said postgame. “The goal is just to win the games. That kind of stuff is neat, but breaking records isn’t always a formula to winning games.”
“Tonight was okay,” he added. “The outcome was good and that’s what matters. I think I definitely struggled to find some off speed command and my delivery didn’t feel too consistent at times.”
The Braves look to carry the momentum into today’s series finale against the Halos, which gets underway at 12:10 ET.
More Braves News:
The Braves lost just a few prospects in order to provide some bullpen security ahead of the trade deadline. The club parted ways with Alec Barger, Victor Vodnik, and Tanner Gordon.
The Daily Hammer Podcast discusses the Braves-Angels series opener, the trade deadline, and more.
Episode 410 of the Battery Power Podcast recaps the trade deadline and more.
Notable Trade Deadline Moves:
- The Houston Astros acquired Justin Verlander from the New York Mets in exchange for cash and two prospects
- The Baltimore Orioles acquired right-hander Jack Flaherty from the St Louis Cardinals for two prospects and RHP Zack Showalter
- The Toronto Blue Jays acquired shortstop Paul DeJong from the St Louis Cardinals
- The Philadelphia Phillies acquired All-Star pitcher Michael Lorenzen from the Detroit Tigers
- The Miami Marlins acquired first baseman Josh Bell from the Cleveland Guardians in exchange for Jean Segura and Kahlil Watson
- The San Diego Padres are adding Rich Hill and Ji Man Choi after trading with the Pittsburgh Pirates
- The New York Yankees acquired right-hander Keynan Middleton after a trade with the Chicago White Sox
- Andrew Chafin is headed to the Milwaukee Brewers after a trade with the Arizona Diamondbacks
- The San Diego Padres landed Garrett Cooper and Sean Reynolds from the Miami Marlins in exchange for Ryan Weathers
- Alex Jackson was dealt to the Tampa Bay Rays in a deal with the Milwaukee Brewers